Tuesday 9 July 2013

A week ago one of my best friends had her baby. A little girl. The same day I was buying my one-way ticket to Holland.
I've always found it funny- just how different people are. What makes us happy? We can all individually answer. My friend has wanted a baby for as long as I can remember, & I'd positively decided I'd wanted to move to Europe/UK 4 years ago, after my last trip there.

A year & a half ago my friend & I were both causing mischief together during the best summer I could ever imagine having. Between the amazing people we'd met & the time we'd spent together, I know a few people feel the same way about that break. Of course we were running around like annoying idiotic teenagers before that too, but nothing can compare to that summer.
So is that the done thing? To have your fun before you're 21 & over the summer? What if that's not enough?
Which option is more socially acceptable? To have a baby, or to travel at 23? Who cares about social acceptance anyway- when someone is being nursed on palliative care, I'm doubting that their final thoughts are wishing they'd been more accepted if they were an extrovert, or wishing they'd stood down more so they could be told what to do or think.

I skyped her for the first time tonight, my friend. She has her own little family now. A loving partner, & a daughter who will be so content with the love I know my friend can give her. No matter how many different ways I say it, I still can't believe it's happened. I know everyone says this as they get older- but for good reason: Where has the time gone? It's now that we need to start utilizing time properly- for what we've been given it for- to do with what may make us happy.

After a few trips around, I've always noticed that the feeling of looking-forward to going to a place can rival having seen it, so I'm going to start here- less than 4 weeks until I leave, may the countdown begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment